Begin Programme of Improvement and Investment in 2017
Leading leisure charity,Fusion Lifestyle has announced that it will begin a programme of works this year to improve and enhance local leisure facilities across the county,starting with Parklands Leisure Centre in Okehampton. This marks the first stage in what will see a £9.2 million investment in the Devon-based facilities over three years by the award-winning charity.
Fusion Lifestyle officially took control of the centres last month, working in partnership with South Hams District Council and West Devon Borough Council. It is now the operator for Dartmouth Leisure Centre, Ivybridge Leisure Centre, Quayside Leisure Centre (Kingsbridge), Parklands Leisure Centre (Oakhampton), Meadowlands Leisure Centre (Tavistock) and Totnes Pavilion Leisure Centre. An innovative collaboration also sees the new Dartmouth Indoor Pool managed by Fusion Lifestyle, on behalf of the Dartmouth& District Indoor Pool Trust.
With millions of pounds of investment to be contributed, many of the centres will see extensive modernisation and some will benefit from major build projects, taking the amenities in the area to a whole new level. A programme of refurbishment and redevelopment is currently in planning for the centres across Devon, with the first project commencing in Okehampton within the coming weeks.
New to Devon, Fusion Lifestyle is one of the largest operators of public sector leisure contracts,and health and fitness companies in the country, known for bringing quality sport, leisure and fitness activities to local communities. The charity is also renowned for investing heavily in its leisure facilities, with all profits made being reinvested in improvements.
Peter Kay, Fusion Lifestyle's Chief Executive Officer said: "We operate 93 diverse sports and leisure facilities across the UK and it is a privilege to take over the running of these incredibly popular and important sites in Devon. We have made a commitment to nurture these leisure facilities and make a serious investment in their upkeep and improvement, most of which are treasured community hubs. Whether that´s a major new addition to the site, or refurbishing much-loved facilities, it will be our role to ensure they serve the community for many more years to come.
"As an independent charity, we invest heavily in creating, restoring and transforming local facilities- and we pour all profit directly back into our sites. We believe the people of Devon will really benefit from what we are bringing to the area."
Fusion Lifestyle Facts:
- Fusion Lifestyle is a leading registered charity, which owns and operates a diverse portfolio of 93 high quality community sport, leisure and well being facilities throughout England & Wales.
- In 2015, Fusion received over 26 million visitors to its centres nationwide - 6 million from under 19s and 1.8 million from over 60s, as well as delivering 3.5 million swimming lessons.
- Fusion has invested over £150 million in the creation and redevelopment of community leisure facilities and is renowned for investing in leisure facilities at risk of closure.
- All profits generated by the organisation are reinvested in facilities and service improvement.
- Fusion Lifestyle is an award-winning employer,committed to investing in skills and internal training across its entire workforce of over 3,500 people, offering ample opportunities for career progression across its 93 leisure facilities.
- Fusion Lifestyle´s expertise is in restoring,redeveloping and renovating failing leisure facilities. The charity is committed to inclusive access to sports and fitness which benefits the entire community.
Fusion Lifestyle in action elsewhere in the UK:
- Newcastle: Two landmark buildings in Newcastle will be given a new lease of life after Fusion Lifestyle was granted a lease by the City Council. The Grade II listed City Pool and Turkish Baths closed three years ago, standing empty ever since.It came to the attention of Fusion Lifestyle, after being made aware of a community campaign. Fusion Lifestyle is investing £5 million into renovating and reopening the historic facilities, gaining planning permission and listed building consent for the pool and Turkish Baths, as well as a new spa,treatment rooms, fitness suite, exercise studios and restaurant/café. The project is due to be completed next year.
- Somerset: Closer to home, neighbouring county Somerset welcomed Fusion Lifestyle in 2015.It invested heavily in the facilities in the Mendip area, including funding a£2 million refurbishment project in Frome Sport & Fitness Centre. It now features 70 pieces of new equipment, two new studio rooms, a dedicated spinning room and new soft play area. These extensive renovations have improved and enlarged the leisure centre considerably, breathing new life back into a popular community facility.
For more information about Fusion visit https://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/
To find out more about the leisure centres mentioned visit:
Fusion Lifestyle media queries: contact For media, firstname.lastname@example.org / 01752 764222